Following on from the previous post, the electricity suppliers did give warnings where necessary. Electricity was still fairly new in 1942 and there were still Wolverton houses with no electrical outlets, and some of the village in particular were not on the grid. Gas lighting was still in use and most homes had a gas cooker.
Electricity was supplied by the Northampton Electric Light and Power Company, a private utility. The Council purchased electricity for street lighting from the comany and had no hand in electricity supply. There was relatively little drain on supply for domestic electricity – most houses had a light bulb in each room and a limited number of plug sockets. Lighting and a radio might be the sum of the demand with some electric heating in the winter months.
Nevertheless, as this notice shows, there was concern that the supply might not meet demand and war work had to have priority.